Once you have completed your National Certificate Vocational at level 4 (NCV4), there are 3 qualifications you can apply for at TVET college, private college or university, if you meet the minimum admission requirements:
Higher Certificate (NQF level 5)
To apply to study for a Higher Certificate (NQF level 5) you will need;
- 40-50% in either home language or first additional language. One of these languages should be the language used by the college or university e.g. you need English to attend the University of Johannesburg
- 30-40 % in either mathematics or math literacy – depending on your course you might need Math, not Math Literacy
- 40-50% in Life Orientation
- 50-60% in four other subjectsNational Diploma (NQF level 6)
The minimum entry requirements to apply to study for a National Diploma (NQF level 6) are;
- 50-60% in 3 fundamental subjects
- 60-70% in 3 compulsory vocational subjectsBachelor’s Degree (NQF level 7)
To apply to study for a Bachelor’s degree (NQF level 7) you will need;
- 60-70% in 3 fundamental subjects
- 70-80% in 4 compulsory vocational subjects
What are the fundamental subjects?
An official language usually a common Business Language such as English or Afrikaans
Life Orientation, Maths or Maths Literacy. You will need to take an additional 4 compulsory vocational subjects that relate to your field of study.
If you cannot enter the qualification you want to enrol for (e.g. a Bachelor Degree), you could enter a qualification on a lower level (e.g. a Diploma or Higher Certificate) and use it as a stepping stone to pursue the higher qualification afterwards.