OFO No: 265901
What is an Acrobat?
Youtube examples of Acrobats in action:
Acrobats use daring gymnastic skills to entertain people at circuses and exhibitions. They need to be fit, strong and agile to perform daring stunts and avoid injury.
They also need to have strong self discipline and a good sense of timing.
Acrobats entertain people with:
- cartwheels and handstands
- forward and back rolls
- springboards and trampolines
- juggling with balls, clubs and rings
- balancing acts on stilts and unicycles
- flying trapeze
Most acrobats work in circuses and travel from town to town entertaining large crowds of people. It is important for an acrobat to be very fit and to train hard every day. Advanced acrobats sometimes work in teams to perform balancing acts and other stunts.
Being an acrobat means hard physical work and long hours – but it can be an exciting and rewarding career.
If you are a person who likes to sit at a desk…acrobatics is probably not the right career for you!
What does an Acrobat do?
- keeping fit
- practicing your skill
- designing and performing new routines
- helping others with their routine
- helping with the day to day running of the circus
- assist with packing and unpacking
Are you … ?
- agile, physical fit and supple?
- hard worker/trainer?
- peoples’ person?
- interested in travel?
- a person who can live in small, cramped spaces?
- team player?
- willing to work unusual hours?
- able to be away from home for long periods at a time?
How do I become an Acrobat?
There is no official training for this profession, however you could try join a circus or attend some circus schools: For example:
- ZIP ZAP CIRCUS: (Cape Town)
Offers FREE part-time training
You could join a gymnastic group at school or in your community to practice your skills. With a lot of passion, practice, determination and dedication you many get a job in this field.
- DANCE STUDIO’S
Acrobatics is a form of dance therefore training can be done a dance studio.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming an Acrobat the right career choice for me?