OFO No: 314201
Other names for Agricultural Technician:
What is an Agricultural Technician?
Agricultural Technicians assist agricultural scientists in their work and assist with the collection of information. Agricultural technicians also give advice and information to the farming industry.
There are 3 groups of Agricultural Technicians:
Agricultural Resource Technicians:
Work together with the agricultural resource officer
Involved in the classification, description and plotting of a region’s natural resources.
Agricultural Extension Technicians:
Assist the agricultural extension officer
Collect information to determine the needs of extension
Agricultural Research Technicians:
Help the agricultural researchers.
What does an Agricultural Technician do?
- records data from agricultural and animal research
- collects samples from crops or animals
- writes reports and analyses of research findings
- plans and implements research programs for the breeding of animals.
- provides care for livestock and examines them for diseases or other problems.
- performs farming duties involved in crop production
Are you … ?
- hands on
- interested in research
- someone who likes working outside
- detail oriented
How do I become an Agricultural Technician?
- Learnership in Agriculture: NQF Level 5
- National Certificate in Agriculture: NQF Level 5
- University of Venda
- National Diploma in Agriculture
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Mangosutho University of Technology
- National Diploma in Agriculture: Botany
- National Diploma in Nature Conservation
- National Diploma in Analytical Chemistry
- National Diploma in Agriculture (Animal Production)
These National Diplomas can be obtained at most universities in South Africa.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.