What is a B&B?
A B&B (bed and breakfast) is like a miniature hotel which serves breakfasts to their guests. They usually have 2-10 bed rooms.
Some Owner / Managers convert their own home into a B&B.
What is a B&B Owner / Manager?
A B&B Owner / Manager is someone who is in charge of the establishment. This includes all jobs from managing staff at reception through to housekeeping and even event organisation.
The Manager is also responsible for making sure that guests are looked after and satisfied with the service provided.
B&B Owner / Managers are also responsible for the financial management (preparing budgets as well as advertising strategies, etc)
What does a B&B Owner / Manager do?
- meets and greets customers
- plans and organises their accommodation
- makes routine checks that staff have done their job properly
- maintains quality control
- caters for breakfast and other meals if necessary
- promotes and markets the business
- manages budgets and financial records
- recruits, trains and manages staff
- plans staff work schedules
- deals with customer complaints and comments
- supervises maintenance
- deals with contractors and suppliers
- makes sure security is in place and it’s effective
- adheres to licensing laws and other regulations
Are you … ?
- interested in the tourist industry?
- a peoples person?
- detail orientated?
- able to deal with stress?
- a good manager?
- a person with a head for business?
How do I become a B&B Owner / Manager?
- have the Town Planning Department of your local government approve your plans for a B&B
- register your B&B business
- obtain trading license from the Licensing Department
- register with your regional Services Board and with Inland Revenue
- you may need a license to play music for you guests
Training as a Hotel Manager would be extremely advantageous. See under Hotel Manager on our website for more details.
Courses for B&B or Small Guest House Management are also available.
- GUEST HOUSE ACADEMY
- SEDA: SMALL ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT AGENCY
- THE BED AND BREAKFAST INSTITUTE
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a B&B Owner or Manager the right career choice for me?