What is a Computer Graphics Animator?
A Computer Graphics Animators is a specialised graphic designer who works on animating graphics in the video gaming industry.
Areas they may choose to work in:
such as side scrollers, which means that the player of the game will only see a left-to-right scroll of the game
such as 3D first person shooting games, where it feels as if the player can move into the screen)
Every aspect of a video game consists of a module or level that has to be integrated into a whole to form the final game.
What does a Computer Graphics Animator do?
- creates the artwork
- develops or programmes the environment such as the buildings, natural scenery or roads
- creates the difficulty-level in the design
Each level is pre-planned and approved by the producer, but could be changed as many times as it takes before production.
Are you … ?
- interested in computers and computer games?
- a person who keeps up to date with technology and gaming trends?
- detail orientated?
- a quick thinker?
- good with colour?
- able to think in 3D?
How do I become a Computer Graphics Animator?
There are a number of ways to study.
Here are a few examples:
- FALSE BAY COLLEGE
Offers a 1 year full time Animation National Certificate
- NEMISA: (National Electronic Media Institute of South Africa)
Offers a 3 year Animation programme
- THE ANIMATION SCHOOL
- SAE INSTITUTE
Higher Certificate in Animation & Visual Effects
- PRESTIGE ACADEMY
Offers a 2 year Diploma in 3D Design & Digital Animation
- BOSTON MEDIA HOUSE
Offers a 3 year Diploma in 3D Animation Concept Art
- UNIVERSITY OF WITWATERSRAND
3 year Bachelor of Engineering Science in Digital Art BEngSc (Digital Art)
Bachelor of Arts in Performing & Visual Arts majoring in Game Design BAPVA (Game Design)
The minimum requirements are different for each institution so check with your institution of choice what theirs is.
Here is a rough guideline:
- Grade 12
- Portfolio of work
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Computer Graphics Animator the right career choice for me?