OFO No: 211401
Other names for Geologist:
- Engineering Geologist
- Environmental Geologist
- Exploration Geologist
- Field Geologist
- Geological Auditor
- Geological Oceanographer
- Geological Planner
- Marine Geologist
- Mine Geologist
- Structural Geologist
Youtube clip – So you want to become a Geologist?
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Geologist?
A Geologist is passionate about the structure, physical characteristics and composition of the earth. Their studies are used in:
- mineral exploration (mining)
- civil engineering
- environmental protection
- earth rehabilitation programmes (after mining etc)
Some Geologists may specialise (for example):
- Volcanology etc
What does a Geologist do?
- often works in remote places
- studies composition and structures of earth’s crust
- examines rocks, minerals etc
- attempts to locate oil, gas, mineral deposits etc
- uses high tech measuring equipment
- assists engineers with information regarding land to be used for dams, road, tunnesl etc
- prepares reports, charts and diagrams etc
Are you . . . ?
- interested in the earth and how it made up?
- interested in science?
- interested in working mostly outdoors?
- willing to work in, sometimes, remote places?
- willing to work in all weather conditions?
How do I become a Geologist?
You will need to complete a Bachelor of Science degree in Geology.
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- North West University
- Rhodes University
- University of Fort Hare
- University of Johannesburg
- University of KZN
- University of Limpopo
- University of Pretoria
- University of SA (UNISA)
- University of Free State
- University of Western Cape
- University of Witwatersrand
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Geologist the right career choice for me