OFO No: 3512
Other names for an ICT User Support Technician:
- Help Desk / Desktop Support / Service Desk
- Technical Support Specialist / Tech Support
- Call or Contact Centre Customer Services
What is an ICT User Support Technician?
ICT User Support Technicians work in the IT (information technology) industry. Their main job is to assist customers with regards technology. This can be done face-to-face or over the phone. They usually have a technical / IT qualification.
What does an ICT User Support Technician do?
- assists customers with queries
- suggests the right product for the customer’s needs
- researches technical issues
- keeps up to date with new technology
- keeps records
Are you … ?
- a techie at heart?
- a person who loves solving problems?
- a good communicator (read, write, listen and speak)?
- a quick learner?
How do I become an ICT User Support Technician?
Most companies prefer someone with a IT qualification.. National Certificates and Diplomas can be done at most TVET colleges.’
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you. Choose Public or Private TVET
- Make sure you understand entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
PRIVATE TRAINING COLLEGE:
- DAMELIN – CLICK HERE
- National Certificate: Information Technology: System Support (1 year full time, or longer part-time)
- Includes: – Hardware and Infrastructure Support for personal computers, Data Communication and Network Support, Hardware and Infrastructure Support for office products.
- Requirements: English and Mathematics at NQF level 4/Grade 12 or equivalent. Ability to use a personal computer competently
- This would be a good foundation course to go on to a Diploma or Bachelor of Technology at a university of technology.
Is becoming an ICT User Support Technician the right career choice for me?