Marine Engineer



OFO No: 214405





Other names for Marine Engineer:

  • Marine Architect
  • Marine Designer
  • Naval Architect



Youtube clip about Marine Engineering

For training options in South Africa – scroll down


What is a Marine Engineer?

A Marine Engineer is responsible for research and development of new marine vessels and equipment.

Some Marine Engineers may specialise in:

  • Engine design
  • Submarines
  • Military vessels
  • Cruise liners etc

Marine Engineers may work for the military, large marine vessel or parts manufacturers or consult to smaller companies.

What does a Marine Engineer do?

  • researches marine vessels and equipment
  • designs new vessels and / or parts / components / equipment etc
  • draws plans using computer-aided draughting programs (cad)
  • builds prototypes and tests them
  • makes adjustments
  • participates in the construction process
  • liaises with other specialists etc electricians / plumbers / engineers / etc

Are you . . . ?

  • interested in marine vessels (boats, ships, cruise liners, submarines etc)
  • good at maths and science?
  • interested in engineering?
  • analytical?
  • intelligent?
  • a team player?
  • detail orientated?
  • a hard worker?
  • responsible?

How do I become a Marine Engineer?


Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering degree

  • North West University
  • University of Cape Town
  • University of Johannesburg
  • University of KZN
  • University of Pretoria
  • University of Stellenbosch
  • University of Witwatersrand


Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering

  • 3 years workplace experience (registered as a Candidate Engineer with ECSA)
  • Professional Review by ECSA
  • Designation: Only engineers registered with ECSA may use the title Professional Engineer.


  • CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
  • Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
  • To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions. 



ECSA is the national body that regulates professional engineers.


OTHER CAREERS TO CONSIDER: Mechanical Engineering Technician or Chemical Engineer or Marine Biologist

Is becoming a Marine Engineer the right career choice for me?