Marine Engineering Technologist



OFO No: 214406





What is a Marine Engineering Technologist?

A Marine Engineering Technologist usually works alongside a Marine Engineer. They design and construct various marine vessels, offshore platforms and marine equipment.

They could work for the military, large ship building companies or companies that manufacture marine components and parts, like engines, etc.

What does a Marine Engineering Technologist do?

  • designs and builds marine vessels, offshore platforms and/or components and parts
  • makes sure equipment etc complies with safety standards
  • makes sure ships etc are seaworthy
  • makes sure engines and other systems are running efficiently

Are you . . . ?

  • interested in boats, ships, submarines etc?
  • interested in engineering?
  • good at maths and science?
  • observant?
  • a team player?
  • reliable?

How do I become a Marine Engineering Technologist?


National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering

Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering (BTech)

  • Cape Peninsula University of Technology
  • Central University of Technology
  • Durban University of Technology
  • Mangosuthu University of Technology
  • Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
  • Tshwane University of Technology
  • University of Johannesburg
  • Vaal University of Technology
  • Walter Sisulu University


National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering

Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering (BTech)

  • 3 years workplace experience (registered as a Candidate Engineering Technologist with ECSA)
  • Professional Review by ECSA
  • Designation: Only engineers registered with ECSA may use the title Engineering Technologist.


  • CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
  • Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
  • To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions. 



ECSA is the national body that regulates professional engineers.


OTHER CAREERS TO CONSIDER: Marine Engineer or Telecommuniations Engineering Technologist

Is becoming a Marine Engineering Technologist the right career choice for me?