What is a Marketing Manager?
A Marketing Manager is in charge of the marketing department in a company or organisation. It’s a senior position.
What does “marketing” mean?
- Marketing means the promotion and selling of products or services.
A Marketing Manager will need to understand the needs and wants of customers and direct the creative and marketing departments to maximise sales for the product/s or service/s.
Good marketing strategies can make the company extremely successful, while bad marketing strategies could see the company fail.
What does a Marketing Manager do?
- learns and understands the company’s products and services
- liaises with the different heads of departments, especially the advertising & pr departments
- conducts surveys
- analyses market research reports
- creates and implements marketing strategies
- monitors and manages the strategies
- solves problems
- keeps up to date with what competitors are doing
- sticks to budgets
- sets goals
- motivates marketing and sales staff
Are you . . . ?
- a creative thinker?
- a person with a head for business?
- open minded?
- a good communicator?
- a team player?
- a hard worker?
- a motivator?
How do I become a Marketing Manager?
A marketing qualification is highly recommended. It’s difficult to be hired as a Marketing Manager one day without one.
Once qualified you can start your marketing career as an intern or marketing assistant in a marketing department. If you can’t get a ‘marketing’ job immediately, try and get yourself a basic admin job but in a marketing department. Once you have a foot in the door, you can then show them what you’re made of. Work hard and prove yourself.
After a while, you may even consider studying further. Qualifications in business, communications or media studies could be really helpful.
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Marketing Manager the right career choice for me?