Mechanical Engineering Technologist



OFO No: 214402





Other names for Mechanical Engineering Technologist:

  • Air-Conditioning
  • Automotive Technologist
  • Clinical Technologist
  • Fluid Mechanics Technologist
  • Forensic Technologist
  • Heating and Ventilation (including fire) Technologist
  • Machine Design and Development Engineering Technologist
  • Maintenance Technologist
  • Mechatronics Engineering Technologist
  • Piping Technologist
  • Pressurised Vessels Technologist
  • Rotational Plant Technologist
  • Structural Steel Technologist
  • Thermodynamics Technologist
    Transportation Systems Technologist


What is a Mechanical Engineering Technologist?

A Mechanical Engineering Technologist analyses and modifies mechanical engineering systems and equipment.

They can work in many industries:

  • Mining
  • Construction
  • Agriculture
  • Industrial
  • Aeronautical
  • Manufacturing etc

What does a Mechanical Engineering Technologist do?

  • assembles and installs mechanical systems
  • conducts tests and makes modifications
  • analyses data
  • advises on the design team
  • advises on construction
  • establishes safety standards
  • monitors mechanical installations
  • makes sure all systems are installed and run efficiently and according to safety standards
  • helps prepare quotes / costs etc

Are you . . . ?

  • good at maths and science?
  • interested in engineering?
  • observant?
  • analytical?
  • a team player?
  • a problem solver?
  • reliable?

How do I become a Mechanical Engineering Technologist?


National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering

Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering (BTech)

  • Cape Peninsula University of Technology
  • Central University of Technology
  • Durban University of Technology
  • Mangosuthu University of Technology
  • Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
  • Tshwane University of Technology
  • Vaal University of Technology
  • Walter Sisulu University


National Diploma in Mechanical Engineering

Bachelor of Technology in Mechanical Engineering (BTech)

  • 3 years workplace experience (registered as a Candidate Engineering Technologist through ECSA)
  • Professional Review by ECSA
  • Designation: Only engineers registered with ECSA may use the title Professional Engineering Technologist.


  • CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
  • Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
  • To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions. 



ECSA is the national body that regulates professional engineers.



Is becoming a Mechanical Engineering Technologist the right career choice for me?