Metallurgical Engineer



OFO No: 214603





Other names for Metallurgical Engineer:

  • Alloy Design Engineer
  • Corrosion Engineer
  • Electrometallurgical Engineer
  • Extraction Engineer
  • Extraction Metallurgical Engineer
  • Flotation Metallurgical Engineer
  • Mining Process Engineer
  • Ore Processing Engineer
  • Physical Metallurgical Engineer
  • Pyro Metallurgical Engineer
  • Welding Engineer



Youtube clip – The Best of Metallurgy Engineering

For training options in South Africa – scroll down


What is a Metallurgical Engineer?

Metallurgy is the science of metals and making sure the right metal is used for a job, or converting the chemical compound so it’s perfect for a job.

CLICK HERE to read about a Metallurgist

A Metallurgical Engineer’s main focus is the conversion of raw metal to something useful.

They often work in:

  • Steel and iron industries
  • Copper or aluminium industries
  • Jewellery manufacturing (precious metals) etc

Metallurgical Engineers may specialise in mines or manufacturing plants, or work in both.

What does a Metallurgical Engineer do?

  • travels to various sites (some remote)
  • studies the properties of metals
  • performs experiments to determine strengths and weaknesses of metals
  • changes formulas so make metals stronger and safer
  • works on mines
  • determines where mining should take place
  • oversees extraction processes
  • develops new alloys (mixtures of metals)
  • liaises with other engineers
  • establishes safety standards
  • uses advanced equipment (xrays, spectrographs etc)
  • keeps up to date with scientific and technical data

Are you . . . ?

  • interested in engineering?
  • good at maths and science?
  • interested in metals?
  • a team player?
  • analytical?
  • an accurate worker?
  • responsible and reliable?
  • a good communicator?

How do I become a Metallurgical Engineer?


Bachelor of Science degree in Chemistry


Bachelor of Metallurgy Engineering


Bachelor of Minerals Engineering

  • These can be done at some of SA’s universities
  • 3 years workplace experience (registered as a Candidate Engineer)
  • Professional Review by ECSA
  • Designation: Only engineers registered with ECSA may use the title Professional Engineer


  • CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
  • Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
  • To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions. 



ECSA is the national body that regulates professional engineers.



OTHER CAREERS TO CONSIDER: Industrial Engineer or Industrial Engineering Technician

Is becoming a Metallurgical Engineer the right career choice for me?