Metallurgical Engineering Technician



OFO No: 311702





Other names for Metallurgical Engineering Technician:

  • Dye Penetrant Testing Technician
  • Heat Treatment Technician
  • Industrial Radiographer
  • Magnetic Testing Technician
  • Metallurgy Laboratory Technician
  • Mineral Analyst / Spectroscopist
  • Mineral Spectroscopist
  • Non Destructive Testing Technician
  • Petroleum Products Laboratory Technician
  • Petroleum Refinery Laboratory Technician
  • Pressure Testing Technician
  • Ultrasound Technician


Youtube clip – The Best of Metallurgy Engineering

For training options in South Africa – scroll down


What is a Metallurgical Engineering Technician?

Metallurgy is the science of metals and making sure the right metal is used for a job, or converting the chemical compound so it’s perfect for a job.

A Metallurgical Engineering Technician helps Metallurgical Engineers. They test metals in a laboratory.

What does a Metallurgical Engineering Technician do?

  • assists metallurgical engineers
  • travels to sites
  • performs laboratory experiments
  • studies metals
  • monitors extraction processes
  • uses advanced equipment
  • helps to create new alloys (mixed metals)
  • works out how to make metals stronger and safer
  • determines which metals should be used for which job
  • follows safety standards

Are you . . . ?

  • interested in engineering?
  • good at maths and science?
  • interested in metals?
  • a team player?
  • analytical?
  • an accurate worker?
  • responsible and reliable?
  • a good communicator?

How do I become a Metallurgical Engineering Technician?


National Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering (Extraction Metallurgy)

  • Can be done at some of the Universities of Technology
  • 2 years workplace experience (registered as a Candidate Engineering Technician through ECSA)
  • Professional Review by ECSA
  • Designation: Only engineers registered with ECSA may use the title Professional Engineering Technician


  • CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
  • Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
  • To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions. 



ECSA is the national body that regulates professional engineers.


OTHER CAREERS TO CONSIDER: Aeronautical Engineering Technician or Town Planning Technician

Is becoming a Metallurgical Engineering Technician the right career choice for me?