OFO No: 311702
Other names for Metallurgical Engineering Technician:
Youtube clip – The Best of Metallurgy Engineering
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Metallurgical Engineering Technician?
Metallurgy is the science of metals and making sure the right metal is used for a job, or converting the chemical compound so it’s perfect for a job.
A Metallurgical Engineering Technician helps Metallurgical Engineers. They test metals in a laboratory.
What does a Metallurgical Engineering Technician do?
- assists metallurgical engineers
- travels to sites
- performs laboratory experiments
- studies metals
- monitors extraction processes
- uses advanced equipment
- helps to create new alloys (mixed metals)
- works out how to make metals stronger and safer
- determines which metals should be used for which job
- follows safety standards
Are you . . . ?
- interested in engineering?
- good at maths and science?
- interested in metals?
- a team player?
- an accurate worker?
- responsible and reliable?
- a good communicator?
How do I become a Metallurgical Engineering Technician?
National Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering (Extraction Metallurgy)
- Can be done at some of the Universities of Technology
- 2 years workplace experience (registered as a Candidate Engineering Technician through ECSA)
- Professional Review by ECSA
- Designation: Only engineers registered with ECSA may use the title Professional Engineering Technician
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- ENGINEERING COUNCIL OF SOUTH AFRICA (ECSA)
ECSA is the national body that regulates professional engineers.
Is becoming a Metallurgical Engineering Technician the right career choice for me?