Metallurgical Engineering Technologist



OFO No: 214604





Other names for Metallurgical Engineering Technologist:

  • Alloy Design Technologist
  • Corrosion Technologist
  • Electrometallurgical Technologist
  • Extraction Metallurgical Technologist
  • Extraction Technologist
  • Flotation Metallurgical Technologist
  • Ore Processing Technologist
  • Physical Metallurgical Technologist
  • Pyro Metallurgical Technologist
  • Welding Technologist


Youtube clip – The Best of Metallurgy Engineering

For training options in South Africa – scroll down


What is a Metallurgical Engineering Technologist?

Metallurgy is the science of metals and making sure the right metal is used for a job, or converting the chemical compound so it’s perfect for a job.

A Metallurgical Engineering Technologist takes outdoor samples and performs laboratory experiments to determine the chemical make-up and properties of metals.

What does a Metallurgical Engineering Technologist do?

  • assists metallurgical engineers
  • travels to sites
  • performs laboratory experiments
  • studies metals
  • oversees extraction processes
  • uses advanced equipment
  • helps to create new alloys (mixed metals)
  • works out how to make metals stronger and safer
  • determines which metals should be used for which job
  • follows safety standards

Are you . . . ?

  • interested in engineering?
  • good at maths and science?
  • interested in metals?
  • a team player?
  • analytical?
  • an accurate worker?
  • responsible and reliable?
  • a good communicator?

How do I become a Metallurgical Engineering Technologist?


National Diploma in Metallurgical Engineering (Extraction Metallurgy)

Bachelor of Technology (BTech) in Metallurgical Engineering

  • These can be done at some of the Universities of Technology
  • 3 years workplace experience (registered as a Candidate Engineering Technologist through ECSA)
  • Professional Review by ECSA
  • Designation: Only engineers registered with ECSA may use the title Professional Engineering Technologist.


  • CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
  • Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
  • To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education. CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions. 



ECSA is the national body that regulates professional engineers.


OTHER CAREERS TO CONSIDER: Mineralogist or Field Guide

Is becoming a Metallurgical Engineering Technologist the right career choice for me?