Meteorological technicians are also known as weather observers.
What they do:
· The main job of a meteorological technician is to record the weather conditions which are used in weather forecasting. They do this by observing the sky and by using instruments such as thermometers, hygrometers ad barometers. These instruments help them to determine various conditions such as the wind, precipitation, velocity, humidity, barometric pressure and temperature.
· determine upper atmosphere conditions by using weather balloons and radiosonde equipment
· assist meteorologists in studying atmospheric conditions help
· may assist meteorologists or even develop new scientific instruments
· carry out regular calibration procedures on instruments and specific experiments as directed
Where to study:
Universities: all universities
Universities of Technology: TUT
Companies to work for:
South African Weather Bureau, meteorological institutions, research institutions