What is a Nature Conservationist?
The job of a Nature Conservationist is to work to protect and manage and our local, natural environment, including grasslands, forests, coastal areas, mountains and rivers.
Nature Conservationist do not only ensure the well-being of the environment, they also set up conservation laws, provide farmers with advice, control natural resources like fisheries that are being utilised and they make the general public aware about conservation matters.
What does a Nature Conservationist do?
- understands our natural environment and teaches the public to use it treating it with respect
- promotes the concept of sustainability
- talks to communities, planners, land owners, developers, community leaders and other groups
- plans programs for sustainable management
- helps with environmental impact studies
- helps with ecological surveys
- look for new nature conservation sites
- maintains records
- prepares applications for funding
- supervises staff and volunteers
Are you … ?
- interested in the environment?
- always reading and researching up on environmental issues?
- willing to work under extreme weather conditions?
- fit and able?
- a team player?
- good at expressing yourself?
How do I become a Nature Conservationist?
- NELSON MANDELA METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY: (PE and George)
Offers the following Nature Conservation courses:
National Diploma: Nature Conservation
BTech: Nature Conservation
MTech: Nature Conservation (Research)
DTech: Nature Conservation (Research)
Minimum requirements: To study any one of the above courses
A degree such as BSc, Zoology or Botany, or a BTech in Ecology or Nature Conservation can be acquired through most universities.
A Degree in Veterinary Science (BVSc) can stand you in good stead if you want to go into wildlife management or conservation.
- UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA
Offers a six (6) year Bachelor Veterinary Sciences (BVSc) degree
- CAPE PENINSULA UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY & OTHER UNIVERSITIES
Diploma in Management or Nature Conservation
- UNISA: UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH AFRICA
Offers a 3 year National Diploma in Nature Conservation
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Nature Conservationist the right career choice for me?