OFO No: 642101
Other names for Roofer:
Youtube clip – So you want to become a Roofer?
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Roofer?
A Roofer is a person who specialises in the construction of a roof. Their job is to build the rafters, beams and trusses which will form the skeleton for the roof. Roofers also specialise in waterproofing, guttering and flashing.
A Roofer will need to have a good knowledge of the materials used and be able to choose the right ones specific for each roof.
What does Roofer do?
- reads building plans
- meets with the project manager/construction manager
- sets out and construction of various trusses
- erects roofs
- clads the structures
- fits gutters and downpipes
- works closely with other construction workers like carpenters, bricklayers etc
Are you … ?
- interested in construction?
- afraid of heights? If YES, this is not a good career choice for you!
- a person with good balance?
- a team player?
- 16 years or older?
- physically strong?
- a person with good eye-hand co-ordination?
- able to work on scaffolding?
- able to read and understand building plans?
How do I become a Roofer?
- Often employers train their own staff to their set of requirements.
- FET / TVET – Training Certificate NQF Level 2 or Grade 10
- Learnership – Construction (Carpenter NCCA) NQF Level 3
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
- NORTHLINK COLLEGE
Offers a variety of short courses. These courses can range from 1 Day – to 12 weeks and is determined by the schedule of the employer/client. The completion of these courses with the appropriate prescribed minimum work experience enables a trainee to be trade tested and certificated by the CETA.
- TRAIN THE NATION
- INTERNATIONAL TRUSS SYSTEMS
Offers Basic, Intermediate and Advanced Roofing courses
Is becoming a Roofer the right career choice for me?