Youtube clip – A day in the life of a Structural Engineer
For training options in South Africa – scroll down
What is a Structural Engineer?
A Structural Engineer is a kind of Civil Engineer and has a very responsible job. They are the experts on the design and monitoring of anything that supports or carries a load. They are the person who makes sure a building / structure is completely safe and does not fall down!
A Structural Engineer also makes sure that the structure / building meets all the necessary building codes.
What does a Structural Engineer do?
- works closely with architects, construction managers, etc
- works on CAD computer packages
- investigates properties of building materials: glass, bricks, concrete etc
- visits building / construction sites
- carries out very careful inspections
- inspects the foundations
- checks all the infrastructure
- makes sure structures are being built in accordance to the plans and building regulations
- signs off each stage of construction before the next stage can begin
Are you . . . ?
- very responsible?
- interested in large-scale construction?
- detail orientated?
- deadline driven?
- safety conscious?
- good at mathematics?
How do I become a Structural Engineer?
You will have to qualify as a Civil Engineer.
CLICK HERE for more info on Civil Engineering training.
- INSTITUTION of STRUCTURAL ENGINEERS
Is becoming a Structural Engineer the right career choice for me?