What is a Nature Tourist Guide?
A Nature Tourist Guide is passionate about nature and usually specialises in a particular field like birds, trees or rock formations etc.
Some Nature Tourist Guides will have in-depth knowledge of all aspects of South Africa’s natural resources.
A Nature Tourist Guide may operate in a given area like the Western Cape or be stationery at a site, for example The Addo Elephant Park.
What does a Nature Tourist Guide do?
Nature Tourist Guide (area):
- meeting and greeting members of their tour
- being enthusiastic and helpful at all times
- dealing with enquiries and complaints from their tour group
- making sure that tour members are comfortable and safe
- being able to deal calmly with emergencies (eg heart attacks, car accidents, etc)
- making themselves available to their group at all times (24-7)
- keeping up to date with information which would make their tour more interesting
Nature Tourist Guide (site):
- meeting and greeting their tour
- receiving of paid tickets
- giving an interesting talk while guiding the group safely through the site
- answering questions
- monitoring the group at all times that they don’t wander off or damage property
- making sure all members of the group are accounted for at the end of the tour
- being punctual for the next group
Are you … ?
- passionate about the outdoors?
- a person with good communication skills?
- extremely knowledgeable and skilled about your subject?
- a peoples’ person?
- friendly, patient and easy going?
- calm under pressure?
- able to control groups of people?
- physically strong and fit?
How do I become a Nature Tourist Guide?
To become a Tourist Guide a person must complete one (or more) Tourist Guide qualifications registered with CATHSSETA. They must be registered with the Department of Environmental Affairs and Tourism.
NOTE: It is illegal to conduct guided tours without the proper qualification or registration.
See under ‘Tourist Guide’ and ‘Field Guide’ on our website for more details.
- ENTABENI NATURE GUIDING TRAINING
Offers a variety of courses:
- THE NATURE COLLEGE:
- FIELD GUIDING ASSOCIATION OF SOUTH AFRICA: FGASA
Offers various adventure courses/training in nature guiding
- BUSHVELD TRAINING ADVENTURES
Offers a variety of courses and specialisations:
- DRUMBEAT ACADEMY
Is becoming a Nature Tourist Guide the right career choice for me?
See below for more info.