What is a Wine Steward or Sommelier?
A Wine Steward or Sommelier is a wine professional who works in a fine-dining restaurant or in an upmarket hotel.
They are trained and knowledgeable on all aspects of wine making as well as wine & food pairing. They are much more informed than a wine waiter.
Their most important work is that of wine buying, wine storage, cellar rotation and expert advice and service to consumers.
Wine Stewards/Sommeliers play a key role in restaurants and can seriously enhance an establishment’s reputation.
What does a Wine Steward or Sommelier do?
- developing appropriate wine lists for the establishment
- training other restaurant staff
- taking delivery of wine and being responsible for its storage
- working with the chef and the team to ‘pair’ wine with the food
- collecting and researching: how food and wine and other alcohols harmonise with food
- being sensitive to customers budget restraints
- constantly researching new wines etc
- attending wine tastings
Are you … ?
- extremely passionate about wine?
- looking to work in the hospitality industry?
- a person with a good sense of taste and smell?
- neat and tidy?
- a team player?
How do I become a Wine Steward or Sommelier?
- CAPE WINE ACADEMY
3 years of practical experience in the hospitality industry
- UNIVERSITY OF STELLENBOSCH
Write the National Benchmark Tests AQL and MAT
NSC an aggregate of at least 55% (excluding Life Orientation)
50-59% English or Afrikaans (Home Language or First Additional Language)
50-59% Mathematics, Physical Sciences and Life Sciences
OR 40-49% Physical Sciences and 70-79% Agricultural Sciences
Is becoming a Wine Steward / Sommelier the right career choice for me?
See below for more info.