Grade 9 is a time for thinking about your future career options, and making decisions. During this year you will have the opportunity to choose subjects for matric. The subjects you choose in grade 9 will influence your study options after matric. Think carefully and consider all the options available to you.
Knowledge is power
- You need knowledge about yourself, what you are good at and what you enjoy. –
- You need knowledge of the world of work.
The most important subject choice is whether you take Core Mathematics or Maths Literacy.
You will need Core Mathematics and Physical Science if you are interested in these careers:
- Medicine (Medical careers also require Life Science)
These Careers require Core Mathematics and usually, Business-Related subjects are useful.
- Information Technology (IT)
English is the language of instruction at most tertiary institutions
Here is a list of 23 industries where you could work
Click on one them below and you will then see the Careers that fall in that fall into that field.
If you click on the Career title it will show you a job description with information about what it involves including how to get there.
Choose a few industries to explore:
- Agriculture, Fishing, Farming and Forestry
- Animal Sciences
- Artisans, Trades and Technicians
- Arts, Media and Entertainment
- Business, Admin, Finance and Sales
- Construction, Engineering and Mining
- Education and Training
- Earth, Environment and Conservation
- Fashion and Beauty
- Gardening, Horticulture and Botany
- Government and Law
- Green Careers
- Historical Sciences
- IT and Telecommunications
- Medical, Health & Life Sciences
- Production and Manufacturing
- Safety, Security and Emergency Services
- Science, Technology and Mathematics
- Social, Domestic and Community Services
- Sports, Sports Science and Recreation
- Tourism, Hospitality, Gaming and Lotteries
- Transport and Logistics
- Wholesale and Retail