OFO No: 653306
What is a Diesel Electrical Fitter?
Diesel Electrical Fitters can work in train yards, power stations and in private homes.
In a train yard, a Diesel Electrical Fitter’s main job is to install, maintain and repair wiring on diesel locomotives.
Diesel Electrical Fitters use very technical equipment and hand tools.
What does a Diesel Electrical Fitter do?
- maintains and repair diesel locomotives
- sticks strictly to safety regulations
- keeps records
Are you . . . ?
- passionate about trains?
- responsible and reliable?
- safety conscious?
- able to work in cramped and dirty spaces?
- a person who pays attention to detail?
- a problem solver?
- good with your hands?
- physically fit and strong?
How do I become a Diesel Electrical Fitter?
TETA suggest that you begin your career by completing a:
National Certificate: Diesel Electrical Fitter NQF 2
- 16 years old
- Grade 10 with Mathematics or
- Grade 10 without Maths but at least Maths on the N1 or
- N1 which includes Mathematics as well as a technical trade or
- NCV Level 2
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Diesel Electrical Fitter right career choice for me?