What is a Game Farm Manager?
In South Africa, Game Farm Managers are responsible for breeding and rearing of high quality game animals (eg zebra, springbok, rhino, etc) for resale.
They participate in game captures to fulfil orders placed by buyers and ensure the safety and well- being of the animals during capturing.
They are also responsible for ensuring that the correct grazing is available and that the grazing paddocks can support the amount of game on the farm.
Game Farm Managers can be self-employed or they can work for large-scale farmers. Game Farm Managers have a deep understanding of breeding methods to ensure the best quality of game are produced.
What does a Game Farm Manager do?
- plans breeding schedules
- determines feed requirements
- monitors animal health
- ensures required bloodlines are maintained
- ensures availability/stock of game for resale
- takes orders
- co-ordinates deliveries
- attends game auctions
- participates in game capture
Are you … ?
- passionate about wild animals?
- a lover of the outdoors?
- interested in breeding patterns?
- a negotiator?
How do I become a Game Farm Manager?
There are a variety of ways of entering the career as a Game Farm Manager.
One can start off as a Game Ranger and then gather experience over years and then become a Game Farm Manager or one can study Game Farm Management.
- NELSON MANDELA METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY
Offers a 3 year National Diploma (Game Ranch Management) and a 1-year BTech (Game Ranch Management).
- CLICK HERE to check for a training institution near you to see what they offer.
- Make sure you understand their entry requirements for each course.
- To avoid scams, make sure your institution is registered with the Department of Higher Education.
- CLICK HERE to check accredited Private Higher Education Institutions.
Is becoming a Game Farm Manager the right career choice for me?